Sunday, April 19, 2009

"Fit-Ful" Fridays blog for 4/24/09

How It Feels To Have A Stroke
Both my grandmother and grandfather (my mom's parents), suffered strokes, so this hits extremely close to home.
A yoga colleague of mine sent this link to me---When I saw that it was 20 minutes long I chuckled. But the insight in these 20 minutes is amazing and definitely worth the length.
Neuroanatomist, Jill Bolte Taylor, was recently featured on The Oprah Show because of her ability to recover from a stroke, analyze it and share her experience.
During this clip, her presentation for TED (http://www.ted.com/) enlightened audiences on how she survived. Toward the end of her presentation, she describes a mental state, which I relate to as my reasoning behind the love and inspiration I feel for Yoga.
With comedic timing and humanity, she describes the morning of her stroke. What an amazing point of view---for a Neuroanatomist to be able to come back and share! You would never think she suffered from a stroke, as she delivers her presentation with the poise and direction of a great scientist.
I have always been amazed by medicine and continue to be intrigued by the medical advancements that continue to take shape. When I was little, I wanted to be a Doctor, but cried at the site of people being in pain or hurt. Although I may not be a Doctor, my desire to help people with their health and well being is something I hold close to my heart and plan to continue.
Please share.


"Fit-Ful" is a term created by Lesa which means, the union of fitness and beauty from within (FITness and beautiFUL). Working on fitness to incorporate improved health and self-esteem along with working on internal beauty by developing connections to self image, spirituality of life and society's connection. Beauty from within is much more important than external beauty. How we treat ourselves and others speaks deeper than what clothes we wear.

This is truly beautiful.

Peace and health!
Lesa

http://www.lmgdanceandfitness.com/